Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I Don't Want to Operate a Data Center any more...

I am a big fan of Amazon.com. They have already transformed themselves from an online book retailer to THE online retailer of just about any product. Just when everyone said that Amazon had nowhere to go, they started commercializing web services. Everything from storage to elastic computing to databases to queuing services are now available.

The services are cheap, reliable, and scalable.-- and you get to take advantage of Amazon.com's expertise at running a data center (they probably know how to do that better than most people).

I think that this is a slam dunk. I look around and see lots of companies running data centers. And it's expensive. It's even more expensive to run it properly.

Perhaps, Don MacAskill @ SmugMug said it best - I don't want to operate data centers any more.

He's right.

SmugMug (fantastic service and company, by the way) is in the business of providing me great online software to manage my photos. They are a software and services company. They should be focusing on that stuff - operating a data center for them is almost like running their own phone service or running their own power grid. Why should they?

For years I've held the belief that computing power and services are best delivered as a utility. I've heard lots of companies talking about. It's great to see Amazon making this a reality, and it's great to hear about the successes of companies like SmugMug using these services.

Power to the cloud!!!

No comments: