Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Bill Falls Down (and doesn't get up)

I finally did it. I broke my ankle.

I was playing roller hockey after work. I needed to move from a forward moving position to one where I could turn sharply and backwards.

This is normally handled with a small hop of the skates. Unfortunately, my right foot gave out and twisted in a bad (and wrong) way when I fell on it.

The good news is that I only have a minor fracture. The bad news is that I have severe ligament damage and will be going to surgery next week to get my ankle cut open, fix the ligaments, and get some screws or plates for added support. This will keep me in crutches for another 6 weeks (I have a solid two weeks under my belt) plus several weeks of physical therapy.

My hockey career is over.

Here are some pictures... the first is a couple of days after the incident:




The second picture is about a week later (after my splint was taken off):



It has no where to go but to look better. :-)







No comments: