Sunday, September 21, 2008

Walking!

I think I can say that I am walking. I didn't bring crutches into physical therapy on Friday. On Saturday, I didn't even take out to dinner.

I still use a crutch to get up and down the stairs, but this is for more balance reasons.

My walking is all that smooth yet, but in a couple of weeks, I think I'll be close to 90% normal. It looks like I'll have one more (very small) operation in October to get the metal out. This is a good thing... I think part of my ankle rotation ability is being inhibited by the metal in their (plus, I can feel the metal in their... which is kind of...creepy).

My routine has changed slightly at physical therapy:

  • I now do my weight shifts with my ankle standing on a squishy rubber foam pad. It supposedly helps me balance.
  • I now do side-steps up an down the length of the work out area (again: working on sideways stability and balance)
  • I now walk over little hurdles (about 4 inches high) to help with balance and control
  • two legged shuttle reps are up to 7 bands
  • I now do one legged shuttle reps on 6 bands

No comments: