Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Stairway to Heaven

Big victory for me today. I was able to use my crutches to get up the stairs. While this might not sound like a big deal to a lot of people, let me tell you: when you first start using crutches, climbing stairs is really scary.

Over the last couple of weeks, I got very good and competent with getting in and out of the house (where I either have one step onto the porch or one step into the garage). Curb hopping is now really easy.

Last night, I just told myself: "it's just a series of 20 really easy curbs". I was right. It was really easy to get up.

I did have Jenn to spot me as I went up the stairs. No, I don't expect her to catch the full weight of a 300 pound guy falling down the stairs, but she is more-than-capable of gently nudging me forward when she sees my balance teetering.

This was a small victory for me. It feels normal to walk up the stairs. At least, much more normal than scooting and crawling.

No comments: