Sunday, April 6, 2008

Come on, Apple!

I thought that these guys are supposed to be the Masters of User Interface and Design?

However, I think they dropped the ball on iTunes. iTunes has no splash screen on start-up. This would not be a problem for Firefox, Thunderbird, or even Microsoft Word (which all start nearly instantly). Unfortunately, iTunes takes about 15 seconds to start up. And my computer is no slouch! I have a Dual Core Intel Processor with 4GB of memory!

To me, this is breaking one of the cardinal sins of user interface design - show something to the user as a feedback mechanism for the action they just performed. Granted, I have a large library - around 8000 songs, but this is no excuse for no giving the user some feedback.

Dear Apple: Stop being lazy, and give me a splash screen!

No comments: