Saturday, February 9, 2008

My First Full Day with Google Apps.

I have now been on Google apps for about 24 hours. My overall experience is good, but there is plenty of room for improvement:

  • Google's services have been unavailable a couple of times (I couldn't purchase a premium account and adding a calendar results in a crash, as well).
  • Googles Pages sucks. Let me say that again. Google Pages really sucks.
  • GMail is great. And the Calendar is pretty snazzy. (which is good, because this is why I wanted to migrate to Google Apps in the first place).
  • I have no idea why blogging isn't integrated into the suite of apps. This seems like a natural fit and a giant mis-step for Google. However, from reading the discussion boards, it looks like JotSpot will be replacing Google Pages (good) and JotSpot also supports blogging (that's good too). Google: Hurry up with this! :-)
  • The start page / portal stuff is a complete ghetto of widgets. I'm surprised that Google didn't spend more time to build a large library of quality widgets.
  • No Google Reader integration? *sniff*

All in all, I am quite happy. I will most likely upgrade to a premium account to show my support for this excellent service (and I'll still be saving money by migrating off my ISP!). I hope Google keeps working hard to improve and extend the application functionality and support!

No comments: